5 Common Misconceptions About Epoxy Coatingsadmin
An epoxy coating can completely transform a regular cement floor. An untreated cement floor can crack and stain, leaving the floor not only unpleasant looking but also unsafe. But with the help of epoxy, the floor will last for years with minimum maintenance. Unfortunately, some people don’t choose epoxy because they believe common misconceptions regarding the material. This article is going to discredit some of the most common misconceptions about epoxy.
- Epoxy coatings have to be reapplied every few years. While many types of flooring coatings do have to be reapplied this often, epoxy is most definitely not one of them. A professionally installed epoxy coating can last up to 10 years. Because it’s so durable and can resist wear from foot traffic, vehicle traffic, heavy machinery, and even airplanes, epoxy can last a long time if it’s taken care of right.
- Epoxy flooring is slippery. Compared to other smooth surfaces, epoxy flooring is actually much less slippery and skid resistant. In fact, an epoxy coating has slip-resistant options, which are basically raised bumps in the flooring to prevent slipping. Because of this, epoxy makes a great option for hospitals, doctor’s offices, and industrial buildings that pose a slip and fall risk to workers.
- It’s too expensive to have epoxy installed. Epoxy is an investment that is both cost-effective and long-lasting. Compared to other flooring options that require costly repairs and maintenance, investing in epoxy will pay off with its durability and easy maintenance. Choosing cheaper flooring solutions will only result in additional expenses for upkeep and repairs.
- The paint will do the same thing epoxy does. Even though epoxy coating may resemble paint before it’s applied, they do completely different things. A coating of paint will not protect the concrete floor from stains or abrasion. On the other hand, epoxy bonds with concrete to create a 100% non-volatile, resistant surface that can withstand wear and tear for years to come.
- Epoxy can be installed without professional assistance. A mix that comes with a DIY epoxy coating kit is much lower quality than professional-grade products. Additionally, in order for the cementitious overlay to bond properly, the concrete surface has to be prepared in a correct manner. So without the necessary tools and experience, the epoxy may not be installed correctly.
Epoxy is one of the most durable types of floor resurfacing options available. It’s durable, long-lasting, and comes in a wide variety of colors. An epoxy company can help any business have safer, better-looking flooring by applying an epoxy coating.